The primary objectives of the Shipping Manager is: to supervise, guide, direct, and mentor the staff within the department; to assign and prioritize tasks; and to ensure customers’ needs are being met and we are providing them with the best possible service.
- Influences and inspires others to act in an energetic, committed fashion in pursuit of positive customer outcomes.
- Motivate and encourage staff.
- Gains respect through behavior that creates trust and confidence so others are willing followers.
- Manage with integrity.
- Be an effective leader by communicating and listening.
- Consider the needs of others.
- Continuous Improvement
- Finds it unacceptable when customer outcomes could be improved.
- Takes personal responsibility for maintaining and upgrading own knowledge, skills and abilities to ensure high service to internal and external customers.
- Is proactive in calling attention to deficiencies or opportunities in the areas of service and productivity.
- Organizational Awareness
- Stays open minded and adapts new strategies as needed.
- Have “influencers” understand and are on board with change.
- Embraces the organizational climate as it evolves.
Improve employee relationships to further develop total company teamwork and cooperation.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Evaluate and manage incoming freight workload and prioritize shipments for receipt.
- Evaluate and manage outgoing order workflow and prioritize shipments based on customer needs.
- Work with others, managers and staff, in order to meet their individual needs and provide the best possible service to our customers.
- Do necessary research to provide internal and external customers with answers to questions.
- Inspect new items to determine: if information labeling is needed on an item’s pick-bin; if special labeling is needed on the shipping carton; if additional packing requirements are needed for an item; when multiple pieces of the same item can be banded together with banding tape to save on freight charges; and to determine if items are ORM-D and need their pick-bin flagged.
- Empower staff to solve problems independently and to provide detailed facts to those needing it.
- Maintain open communication with staff and provide them with a safe environment to present concerns.
- Give thorough explanation of responsibilities and projects needing completed.
- Make certain more than one staff member is trained in each task area, so we have adequate task coverage during absences and vacations.